Since tomato season is coming upon us and Steeplechase tailgating is this weekend, I decided to share with you one of my favorite Bloody Mary cocktails (sure to impress fellow “horse fans”) – I got a few more I will share down the road so don’t think this is the only trick up my sleeve.
For starters, yes, there is a bacon strip in this Bloody Mary. I am normally a spicy Bloody Mary kinda guy but occasionally I like to change things up. This is a sweet, smokey, and savory version – key ingredients: spritz of maple syrup with a strip of crispy bacon
And now for the recipe:
Maple Bacon Bloody Mary
(makes one cocktail)
- 1 1/2 oz vodka
- 4 oz fresh tomato juice, approximately 1-2 medium tomatoes
- 3 dashes Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 oz fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp horseradish*
- 1 tsp maple syrup*
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 strip of bacon
* We made this drink on the conservative side, neither too spicy nor sweet. If you want it more of either flavor, add more of each starred ingredient and taste accordingly. You can also add a dash of Tabasco sauce for more spice.
- Peel the tomatoes. You can use a peeler for this, but I just used my fingers. Put the tomatoes in a blender or food processor and run until liquid.
- Combine all ingredients except the bacon in a cocktail shaker. Taste and adjust seasoning. Add ice.
- You don’t want to shake a Bloody Mary because it will make the tomato juice foam up. Instead, put a glass in the top of the shaker and gently roll the drink back and forth until cold.
- Next, make the bacon garnish. Cook the bacon as you normally would until crispy and drain on a paper towel.
- To assemble the drink, put ice in a glass and strain the drink over it. Add the bacon to garnish. Or, if you prefer, you can crumble the bacon on top instead.
Until Next Time,