Grilled drinks? We love grillin hogs and such over here at DMC so why not grill a drink or two – or even a Poptail?
Yeah, go ahead, I’ll wait while you grab your tongs.
Here’s what I made after grabbing mine: Grilled Mango Smash. Think sweet mango grilled to the point when the sugar is sweated to the surface for a dark smoky carmelized flavor. Lighting up that sweetness is the fire from the tomatillo and quietly but confidently nudging its way in is a slight peppery bite from the basil. And finally, lying beneath all that is a layer of that belly-grabbing barbeque flavor. It’s awesomeness on a stick.
Grilled Mango Smash
- 4 lbs. mango (about 8 normal size mangoes)
- 4 oz tomatillos (about 3-4 tomatillos)
- 1 lime, sliced
- 6 oz orange juice
- 7 large basil leaves
- 6 oz gold rum
- Heat barbeque unit to medium high. Slice mango into large pieces and place on grill, flesh-side down. Remove husk from tomatillos and rinse off sticky layer. Cut limes into slices. Place tomatillos and limes in a grilling basket and onto grill. Grill all fruit for about 7-10 minutes or until fruit is browned and slightly charred. Remove from heat and cool to warm.
- Place basil leaves in orange juice. Using a muddler, smash basil leaves. Strain orange juice into a blender or food processor and then add mango, tomatillos and rum. Process mixture until smooth.
- Fill popsicle wells and cover with foil. Cut a tiny hole in the center of each well. Place popsicle stick through the hole. Place in freezer until frozen. To release popsicles, run hot water over outside of mold for 2-3 seconds.